Animal Tidbits

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Sheal_*

Guest_Sheal_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 May 2006 - 09:35 AM

The world's smallest mammal is the bumblebee bat of Thailand, weighing only 2g.
Dolphins sleep with one eye open.
Emus can't walk backwards.
The average garden-variety caterpillar has 248 muscles in its head
By some unknown means, an iguana can end its own life.
Americans spend around $3 billion for cat and dog food a year.
The shell constitutes 12 percent of an egg's weight.
Pigs can cover a mile in 7.5 minutes when running at top speed.
A snail's reproductive organs are in its head.

Fastest Marine Animal - blue whale (30 miles per hour)
Fastest Land Animal - cheetah (70 miles per hour)
Fastest Fish - sailfish (68 miles per hour)
Fastest Bird - peregrine falcon (100-200 miles per hour)
Fastest Insect - dragonfly (36 miles per hour)

Largest Animal blue whale (110 feet long, 209 tons)
Largest Land Animal - African bush elephant (13 feet high, 8 tons)
Tallest Animal - giraffe (19 feet tall)
Largest Reptile - saltwater crocodile (16 feet long, 1,150 pounds)
Largest Snake - Heaviest: anaconda (27 feet, 9 inches long, 500 pounds) Longest: reticulated python (26-32 feet long)
Longest Fish - whale shark (41 1/2 feet long)
Largest Bird - ostrich (9 feet tall, 345 pounds)
Largest Insect - stick insect (15 inches long)

Dogs have about 220 million olfactory receptors to help them smell-roughly 40 times the number humans have.

Lions, one of the speediest land animals, spend about 20 hours a day resting.

Scorpions have as many as 12 eyes
A Mole can dig a hole 300 feet in one night.
A new born blue whale measures 20-26 feet long and weighs up to 6,600 pounds.
Penguins live south of the equator. Penguins can swim up to 15 mph and they spend 75% of their time in the water.
Tigers have striped skin, not just striped fur.
Vultures can see small rodents from a height of 15,000 ft. (and you thought eagles had good eye sight!)
Frogs have an eardrum on the outside of the body behind the eye.
A Seahorse's eyes can move independently of each other.
Bees and butterflies can see ultraviolet light.
A whale's heart beats once every 6 1/2 seconds.
Sharks can have as many as 70 baby sharks in a litter.

A fear of animals is called zoophobia
A fear of spiders is called arachnaphobia: On average people fear spiders more than they do death.

The siberian tiger is the largest cat in the world. It weighs up to 300kg (660 lbs) and can eat 27,2 kg (60 lb) of meat at one mealtime.

Did you know Sailor, Dead Leaf, Paper Kite, Blue Striped Crow, Julia and Great Egg Fly are all names of butterfly species?
Butterflies taste with their feet.

Did you know moths are not really attracted to light? Moths fly towards the blackest point which is behind the light?

Polar bears are left handed.

The ant can lift 50 times its own weight, can pull 30 times its own weight and always falls over on its right side when intoxicated.

A crocodile cannot stick its tongue out.

The catfish has over 27,000 taste buds, that makes the catfish rank #1 for animal having the most taste buds.

Most animals donít eat moss. Itís hard to digest, and it has little nutritional value. But reindeer fill up with lots of moss. Why? The moss contains a special chemical that helps reindeer keep their body fluids warm. When the reindeer make their yearly journey across the icy Arctic region, the chemical keeps them from freezingómuch as antifreeze keeps a car from freezing up in winter

The largest frog in the world is called Goliath frog. Frogs start their lives as 'eggs' often laid in or near fresh water. Frogs live on all continents except Antarctica. Frogs belong to a group of animals called amphibians.

A chameleon's tongue is twice the length of its body.

A chimpanzee can learn to recognize itself in a mirror, but monkeys can't.

A rat can last longer without water than a camel can.

A woodpecker can peck twenty times a second.

A zebra is white with black stripes.

Porpoises and dolphins communicate with each other by squeaking, growling, moaning, and whistling. Porpoises and dolphins are mammals. There are about 40 species or kinds of porpoises and dolphins. Most porpoises and dolphins navigate by using "echolocation". The largest member of the dolphin family is called an orca or killer whale.

The hippopotamus gives birth under water and nurses its young in the river as well, though the young hippos do come up periodically for air.

A cow gives nearly 200,000 glasses of milk in her lifetime

Edited by ahteddybear, 13 June 2007 - 03:28 AM.
merging posts

#2 Guest_pawsitivemom_*

Guest_pawsitivemom_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 January 2007 - 04:29 PM

How timely the post on pets sleeping IN bed. I was going to post some infor on this after the talk I went to last night. I think it is important info for all pet owners. Zoonosis is the transmission of a disease from animal to humans. It can happen with some bacteria, diseaes and parasites your pet may come in contact with. It is the reason that we Vaccinate for some of them and also why vets reccomend an annual fecal exam and regular dewroming.

Here is some info from Novartis.....they make a dewormer/heartworm preventive so, some may be bias a bit toward their products.

Zoonotic parasites

The CDC also puts out guidelines on deworming of animals.

I have not posted anything to this point because....this is a tough topic. I have to walk a fine line between informing and scaring. I can also get into some areas that may cause "problems" for me.

But, after the discussion last night I feel it is irresponsible of me not to make everyone aware of this.

Edited by pawsitivemom, 18 January 2007 - 04:37 PM.

#3 Guest_pawsitivemom_*

Guest_pawsitivemom_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 January 2007 - 02:17 PM

QUOTE(Karen @ Jan 18 2007, 10:17 PM) View Post

Is it unusual that my vet has never requested a fecal specimen?

I'm sorry Karen but, I forget what you have a dog or cat.

Most vets do ask for a fecal at your annual visit. I know we often forget to mention it when we CALL people for the reminder but, it is stated in the letter we send out. It was same with the other place I worked so, if you are getting a call and not a letter, that may be why they dont' request it.

If you have a dog they DO get deworming from their Heartworm preventive.

If you have an *totally* indoor cat then it is at VERY low risk for re-infection. Once it has had it's kitten deworming it is not likely it would come into contact with parasites.

As for totally outdoor cats, honestly, many people dont' see much "value" in that cat so they refuse to do anything above what THEY percieve as necessary (early shots and altering usually). Those who do have outdoor cats and do annual visits are probably getting a dewormer at some poing since their cat probably hunts.

These are the reasons some vets don't "push" the annual fecal exam.

I know many vets deworm all puppies/kittens with every booster vaccination. (monthly from about 2-4mo)

Again, I have a fine line to walk here...(ethical issues come into play). I really don't know *YOUR* vet's reason for not asking for an annual fecal or how your pet is currently being treated. I do suggest you go to your next appointment informed and armed with a fecal sample. Your vet may have a good explaination for you.

#4 Guest_pawsitivemom_*

Guest_pawsitivemom_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 February 2007 - 02:11 PM

This is a "bit" biased. But, only because it assumes that an owner is doing all s/he can to keep their pet healthy for life.

http://www.ovma.org/...et_costs_04.pdf

But, it is a fairly accurate description of what a responsible owner is going to pay for a healthy pet each year.
This is from the 2004 fee guide.

#5 Guest_Tracy G_*

Guest_Tracy G_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 February 2007 - 09:27 AM

GOOD ADVICE

If a dog was the teacher you would learn stuff like:

When loved ones come home, always run to greet them.
Never pass up the opportunity to go for a joyride.
Allow the experience of fresh air and the wind in your face to be pure ecstasy.

When it's in your best interest, practice obedience.

Let others know when they've invaded your territory.
Take naps.
Stretch before rising.
Run, romp, and play daily.

Thrive on attention and let people touch you.

Avoid biting when a simple growl will do.
On warm days, stop to lie on your back in the grass.
On hot days, drink lots of water and lie under a shady tree.
When you're happy, dance around and wag your entire body.

No matter how often you're scolded, don't buy into the guilt thing and
pout..! run right back and make friends.

Delight in the simple joy of a long walk.
Eat with gusto and enthusiasm. Stop when you have had enough.

Be loyal. Never pretend to be something you're not.

If what you want lies buried, dig until you find it.

When someone is having a bad day, be silent, sit close by and nuzzle them
gently.