HOMESCHOOLING and NATURAL PRODUCTS

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_luckymama_*

Guest_luckymama_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 April 2008 - 12:25 PM

I am very passionate about natural products. (Chemical free) This could be cleaning products in your home or personal care products. I also love Organic food so I am here for that as well.

Ask away! lol

Edited by luckymama, 21 April 2008 - 08:24 AM.

#2 Guest_familycomplete_*

Guest_familycomplete_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 April 2008 - 09:57 PM

Could you recommend a good deoderant?
Also whats your favourite Health Food store in the city or county?

Thanks
Val

#3 Guest_old woman in the shoe_*

Guest_old woman in the shoe_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 April 2008 - 11:16 PM

How do people afford organic food especially meat. I wanted to switch yrs ago but when I saw the price I just couldn't believe it. I see Kate on Jon and Kate plus 8 always buying it but I wonder how they do it..maybe her husband makes a lot more than mine? I dunno..I want to switch but how do people do it? Plus mine has to be organic and halal.

#4 Krys0218

Krys0218

Thoroughly addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,980 posts

Posted 19 April 2008 - 12:25 AM

I'm on the search from some organic butternut squash. It's DS's favourite and I can't find any anywhere. I don't to buy any of that goo in a jar. Yuck! We like the homemade stuff here. Just having a hard time finding fresh stuff.

#5 Guest_luckymama_*

Guest_luckymama_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 April 2008 - 10:50 AM

familycomplete - It is funny you ask this because just yesterday I thought..Someone is going to ask this question. I know it! I am on the search for this myself. I have tried a couple so far and neither have worked. I feel it is very important to use natural deodorant because it is something we put on every day and gets absorbed. I worry about breast cancer with it. Right now I have "Kiss my Face" so I don't recommend that. They have wonderful bar soap that we use but I don't suggest the deodorant.
We shop at Shopeco on Manning and Tecumseh. The "seventh generation" line is GREAT! I can't stress that enough! When I go there next I will be buying deodorant from them and I will let you know.
My favorite health food stores are... buying locally first wherever I can. I have a list of people who sell Organic food from their crops/farms from a meeting I went to. (Canadian Organic Growers) If you want this info I can post it. Better yet I will anyways sometime today. It is wonderful information to have!
Next I go to Zehrs. I just realized that the Superstore does not have as wide a selection as the Zehrs on Manning. Depending on where I am is which one I go to. The Market also has Organic but I don't shop there. For natural products I go to Shopeco. This is one of my favorite stores. I use their dishsoap (which isn't easy to find good stuff that suds like you want it to), their baby wipes and shower cleaner. Again..I love seventh generation products. For vitamin and natural medication I like Pure Nature in St. Clair Beach. If I am not near there I will go to Shoppers.

Old woman in the shoe - I wouldn't buy your meat in the store. It is way too expensive. Find someone locally that raises Organic meat. We have someone locally that raises Organic chicken (and eggs) and we buy from them. They are not certified but we know who they are and they just didn't want to jump through hoops to certify it. That is how we buy our meat. I find in stores it is very costly!
I am not sure what halal means. Could you please explain it to me?
For our fruits and veggies we usually buy it all Organic. It isn't much more money for that. If we are low on money we buy the fruits and veggies that have thinner skin Organic. Things like Pineapple and squash have a thicker skin so aren't as important to be Organic. Dairy is expensive. We don't drink cow's milk anyways. We buy almond milk and rice milk and alternate. Coconut milk is best but hard to find.
It would be very hard to buy ALL Organic food. It tastes better and is obviously more healthy. Our main food is Organic but not all. We are planning on moving up North and living a more simple life and then we will be ALL Organic. I would rather live more simply and know that I am feeding my family in the most healthy way I can.
So you basically have to pick what you feel is most important to be Organic (if low on money)
I suggest meat (A LOT of added yucky stuff), dairy, fruits and veggies.
I hope I was of some help!

Hmmm..butternut squash. Is this what we made and fed Reagan? We have done some Organic Squash up for her but can't remember if it was butternut?? There are a few selections of Squash at the Zehrs on Manning. If you can't find it locally (which might be hard because I believe they are in season in Autumn) then I suggest Zehrs.

Thank you for posting the deodorant question. You are making me delve more into it now.

#6 Outnumbered

Outnumbered

Hopelessly devoted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,146 posts

Posted 19 April 2008 - 01:32 PM

I'd be interested in your sources for organic meats and produce if you don't mind sharing smile.gif

Is the meat inspected?

#7 Guest_familycomplete_*

Guest_familycomplete_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 April 2008 - 01:47 PM

QUOTE(Outnumbered @ Apr 19 2008, 02:32 PM) View Post
I'd be interested in your sources for organic meats and produce if you don't mind sharing smile.gif

Is the meat inspected?

Hi Outnumbered...LOL..love your handle btw...
We raise our own organic beef and chicken and no it is not inspected. But we dont sell it either - its all strickly for our own use. I believe its against the law to sell non ispected meats
I dont think butchers can have non inspected meats. But the butcher in Essex - Shinkles has a great meat counter & the butcher on the corner of #3hwy and Walker(sorry the name slips my mind right now) also has a great meat counter - all inspected.

HTH
Val

#8 Guest_familycomplete_*

Guest_familycomplete_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 April 2008 - 01:51 PM

Thanks Luckymama - I have heard of a few brands that people have tried too, I will definitely keep my eyes and ears open for another great brand.

Thanks for all the info...
Val

#9 Guest_old woman in the shoe_*

• Guests

Posted 19 April 2008 - 08:12 PM

Halal is like kosher..its a certain way of slaughtering the animal..all the blood has to be drained. A lot of muslims just do it themselves..not sure if my dh would be up for it or not. I know there is a halal organic shop in Toronto but that's kind of far. Havent' heard of anything around here. Actually our meat should be organic to begin with, its a crying shame that animals are allowed to be fed and treated like they are. I only found out about it in 2000..apparently its been going on for decades! I even wrote to the dept of agriculture to complain and they said that feeding animals to animals is how they get rid of the waste..ugh..plus all the hormones too another ugh. So I'm not sure what to do considering I need something halal and inexpensive.

#10 Guest_javalovinjenn_*

Guest_javalovinjenn_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 April 2008 - 08:21 PM

Old woman in the shoe- are there any places in Michigan that carry things that are hallal? Just a thought. smile.gif

#11 Guest_old woman in the shoe_*

• Guests

Posted 20 April 2008 - 05:53 PM

Michigan...maybe but I'm still to scared to cross the border.

#12 emmsmama

emmsmama

"Be the change you wish to see in the world." Gandhi

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,787 posts

Posted 20 April 2008 - 09:15 PM

I've been using "deodorock" type products for years now. The first one I purchased from Regal and it lasted me a couple years and I'd still be using it if it didn't mysteriously disappear. So I bought another one from the Superstore that I don't like as much but it still works well and I've been using that one for about a year now. It's a deodorant so it's not going to stop you from sweating (which isn't healthy anyway), but it does work well for controlling odour. Sometimes I have to reapply it midday if it is a sweltering hot summer day, but overall I am very happy with it and finally even got my hubby to buy one to try.

#13 Guest_terbear_*

Guest_terbear_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 April 2008 - 06:37 AM

Sobey's has frozen organic squash, sweet potatoes, blueberries, blackberries and strawberries. They are in small brown paper bags. I have all of them in my freezer right now

#14 Guest_LeahAJ_*

Guest_LeahAJ_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 April 2008 - 07:42 AM

Didn't there used to be a homeschooling forum??? Forgive me I have been out of the loop for a while. I am homeschooling my 12 yr old as December and I was looking for the forum and can't find it?

#15 Guest_boysrfun_*

Guest_boysrfun_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 April 2008 - 08:15 AM

Just curious I would never have the patience to homeschool but is there some sort of test that they take so they can graduate? like from the goverment so they can get a job afterwards??
And don't you feel that they are missing out on stuff like making friends and birthday parties and valentines days and school plays and field trips?? Seems like they would be missing out on alot of fun childhood stuff.

#16 Guest_familycomplete_*

Guest_familycomplete_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 April 2008 - 08:17 AM

QUOTE(LeahAJ @ Apr 21 2008, 08:42 AM) View Post
Didn't there used to be a homeschooling forum??? Forgive me I have been out of the loop for a while. I am homeschooling my 12 yr old as December and I was looking for the forum and can't find it?

It appears that the forum has been seperated...the Homeschool tips are on there own in the list of Tips
HTH
Val

#17 Guest_luckymama_*

Guest_luckymama_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 April 2008 - 08:23 AM

I am going to answer this in the homeschooling tipster area if you don't mind. It is a bit confusing because this one has both topics in the title. embarassed.png

QUOTE(boysrfun @ Apr 21 2008, 09:15 AM) View Post
Just curious I would never have the patience to homeschool but is there some sort of test that they take so they can graduate? like from the goverment so they can get a job afterwards??
And don't you feel that they are missing out on stuff like making friends and birthday parties and valentines days and school plays and field trips?? Seems like they would be missing out on alot of fun childhood stuff.

#18 Guest_boysrfun_*

Guest_boysrfun_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 April 2008 - 08:36 AM

Yeah I didn't even notice it was in the wrong forum just saw the title.

#19 Sweetheart Diapers

Sweetheart Diapers

New Kid on the Block

• Members
  • Pip
  • 52 posts

Posted 10 February 2010 - 01:53 PM

QUOTE(old woman in the shoe @ Apr 18 2008, 11:16 PM) View Post
How do people afford organic food especially meat. I wanted to switch yrs ago but when I saw the price I just couldn't believe it. I see Kate on Jon and Kate plus 8 always buying it but I wonder how they do it..maybe her husband makes a lot more than mine? I dunno..I want to switch but how do people do it? Plus mine has to be organic and halal.

Go vegetarian?
no but seriously, we barely eat any meat in our house (can't call myself a true vegetarian). it saves us sooo much money! when i DO buy meat, i can't get over the difference in the grocery bill. our reasons for eating very little meat are both for health reasons and the environmental impacts of raising livestock.